Saturday 14 March 2015

Tool Storage Unit pt. 3


Here is the drawer stock prepared. the boards are made from tongued and grooved spruce flooring timber. I glued 2 boards together using the existing
 T & G's them cut off the remaining tongue and filled the groove with this off cut. The boards were then planed to flatten them and cut to length.


I worked out the layout for the tails and made a card template so I could repeat this for all of the drawer sides. I marked up all of the waste areas to avoid cutting them out by accident! Note the "colored sticky dots" applied to the dovetail and pin sets. This is ensure they are kept together.

The tails were cut using David Barrons magnetic dovetail gauge and a Gyokucho 372 ’traditional’ dozuki saw. (Link to Davids tool page) 



After the tails were cut, I used my dovetail alignment jig (based on David design) to set the tail board square to the pin boards (drawer fronts) and marked the pins with a marking knife.



On my way to cutting all 144 dovetails!



All 6 drawers assembled - now to cut housings for the 9mm ply drawer bottoms.
The drawers were fitted with roller runner slides. I am not sure if they will be strong enough, but time will tell.








No comments:

Post a Comment