Wednesday 12 March 2014

Engineers Scribing Block


My engineering apprenticeship...

This is a steel scribing block I made at the Central Electricity Generating Board (C.E.G.B.) training school in Harrogate, UK in 1971 as part of my 1st year engineering apprenticeship. The scribing block is used for marking out metal prior to cutting and machining. I remember we had about 70 apprentices in the year I was in. We were trained in hand metalwork, tin plate working, welding (both gas and electric), electrical fitting, and in the case of the scribing block, machine working. I believe we used lathes, milling machines, surface grinders and pedestal drills. It was a brilliant first year for a 16 year old to experience the trainers were all fantastic.

I followed this year, with 4 years of additional training at Power Stations across the north east of the UK. Keadby, Drax, Eggborough etc. My scribing block may not be up to Karl Holteys standard!, but it makes me appreciate how wonderful his infill planes are.




No comments:

Post a Comment