Saturday 20 September 2014

Tiny ring box from log.






Tiny natural timber box.

I made this small box from an off-cut of a piece of rhododendron timber I collected a while ago in the local woods. I cut the ends and then the top off before hollowing out the center using my scroll and band saws. I had intended to make the lid pivot hinged using pins but the sides came in towards the top slightly stopping the lid lifting through the gap. So in this case I made the top a sliding one. I added to small sliders to prevent the lid dropping inside when moved across. I also added to inserts for the lid to rest on, so it was level at the top when closed. These inserts make up for the lost material due to the sawing kerf.

The box was finished with sanding sealer and a clear gloss polyurethane varnish.

The box is 3 1/4” long, 2 1/2” high and 3” wide.

No comments:

Post a Comment