Monday 11 February 2013

Stanley Jack Plane Restoration




This Stanley Jack Plane was in my father-in-laws tool chest, it hasn't been used since the mid 90's, so it was looking pretty sad. The weather is cold and damp here, so it is not much fun going into my workshop to do any woodwork, so I pass the evenings sorting through and restoring my old tools.


This is my latest effort. It was fully stripped down and all the parts were cleaned and polished. The handles were sanded, stained and given 3 coats of shellac. I repainted the body with Humbrol black enamel.

In the January 2013 issue (76) of 'Woodworking Plans and Projects' magazine, Anthony Bailey, the editor, did a very useful 6 page article on wood plane restoration and setting up. I used this article to guide me. (http://www.woodworkersinstitute.com/)

No comments:

Post a Comment