Saturday 10 August 2013

My bench refurbishment has started!



My bench refurbishment has started!. - I have been using this vintage workbench on and off for 17 years now. Before then it was my wife's fathers, we think he probably built it in the 1950's. Recently I have tried to do more joinery work on it and realized that it's age has left it very curvy in places making planning and general woodwork quite tricky. The tool well was also lined with old floorboards and when I lifted the first one it had woodworm. I am going to try and keep the front board in place for sentimental reasons. I have patched up a couple of edges that had heavy wear - but hopefully once it is flattened it should be OK. I have picked up some timber from Wicks that was good value at about £10. Initially I was going to leave a tool well - but I have now decided to replace all of the well boards with the new timber and make the bench flat. If it is not successful I will have to make a complete new hardwood top, I will post again when it is up and running.

No comments:

Post a Comment